[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Hubert Ritzdorf Hubert.Ritzdorf at EMEA.NEC.COM
Thu Mar 21 12:11:10 CDT 2013

> I believe the NEC Fortran MPI API may do similar things.

This is right.
The tool guys are mainly looking for a well-defined name.
I think that it is a bad idea to kill backward compatibility, Fortran profiling interface
and optimization possibilities of MPI implementers in order to get  this well-defined name.

It would be possibly simpler to add a specific BIND(Fortran, name="MPI_Test_f08") to Fortran
which sets the linker name instead of using BIND(C, name="MPI_Test_f08") and we could
avoid all the interoperability problems which were found till now (and in future).

MPI_Test is a relatively simple function. We have much more complex functions which
might increase scalability problems (for example additional memory
allocation for MPI_Alltoallw in order to transform datatypes, possibly counts, displacements)
for this requested approach.

The upper routines/functions might become complex or
cpu-time relevant  (example: implementation of MPI_SUBARRAYS_SUPPORTED).
In this case, the usage of performance (or debugging) tools which ignore the work in
this upper functions (since these tools see only the C MPI  functions) might
become problematic.

Hubert