[MPI3 Fortran] New Fortran proposal w.r.t. BIND(C)/logical/etc.

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Apr 23 07:40:08 CDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:

> Overall, I see this proposal as a big step backwards, and am not in favor. Sorry.

That was to be expected, sorry.

The lynchpin is that ever since MPI-1, MPI has explicitly stated that the Fortran symbols must be interceptable (that is the driving force behind much of the logic in this proposal).  We cannot change that in an errata.

We can (and should) change this in MPI-4, so that advances like CONTAIN blocks are possible.

*** But we absolutely cannot make such major changes in an errata.

jsquyres at cisco.com