[MPI3 Fortran] MPI function symbol naming convention for tools

Rasmussen, Craig E rasmussn at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 20 12:15:58 CDT 2011

I've talked with Jeff Squyres and we come up with naming convention that we'd like to propose for tools to have access to Fortran.

I believe we need four different symbol naming conventions.  Consider MPI_Recv(), the four functions are

1. mpi_recv_f
        - This function implements (in C or Fortran) MPI_Recv with integer handles and the choice buffer passed by address.

2. mpi_recv_f_nostatus
        - This function implements (in C or Fortran) MPI_Recv with integer handles without a status variable and the choice buffer passed by address.

3. mpi_recv_f08
        - This function implements (in C or Fortran) MPI_Recv with integer handles and the choice buffer passed via an array descriptor.

4. mpi_recv_f_nostatus
        - This function implements (in C or Fortran) MPI_Recv with integer handles without a status variable and the choice buffer passed via an array descriptor.

Note that these functions only need to support integer handles because of the way we (thanks to Rolf) have chosen to define the handle types in the mpi_f08 module.

Please comment on this naming convention.

-craig