[MPI3 Fortran] Results of recent J3 Fortran meeting

Rasmussen, Craig E rasmussn at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 21 11:20:22 CDT 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Malcolm Cohen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>> The short answer is that a revised version of the paper passed (see
>> attachments).  The longer answer is that there was disagreements on how
>> assumed size characters should be implemented.  I've also attached a file with
>> two C functions showing the two choices.  Hopefully these example are mostly
>> correct, I haven't had a chance to test them yet.
>
> Nitpick: that's "assumed length", "assumed size" is about arrays.  I know this
> terminology is confusing, with assumed size, shape, length, rank, type ... but
> since the paper does both assumed length (for characters), and also does passing
> assumed-size arrays to assumed-rank dummies, we need to get the terms right to
> avoid even more confusion!

assumed length => character strings
assumed size => arrays

so they aren't both about arrays, correct?

> Anyway, there are three choices described in 10-237r2 (one with edits and two
> without), and the one you dropped was my favourite one... viz the one that
> doesn't mix together the size of a character with the length of a string - this
> matters when you have multibyte characters; that's probably unimportant to MPI,
> but it is certainly important to other audiences.

I've added the other choice to the examples as well (see attachment).

> If "choice 1" isn't taken, there is certainly more work required by J3 to sort
> out the technical details of choice 2 or choice 3.  Unfortunately we ran out of
> time to produce edits for all three versions for comparison.

I'm planning on taking a shot at the edits for one of the other choices once the web site is back up.  I understand that John Reid would like to make some progress over email before the next J3 meeting.

-craig