[MPI3 Fortran] Results of recent J3 Fortran meeting

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Thu Oct 21 09:49:09 CDT 2010

N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> On Oct 21 2010, Supalov, Alexander wrote:
>
>> Multibyte characters are supported by MPI in some sense (see MPI_WCHAR).
>> Not sure of the level of Fortran support, though- either desired or
>> provided.

Support for ISO-10646 characters is defined, but optional, in the
Fortran standard. There might be some implementations that support them,
but certainly others that do not.  In terms of interoperability with C,
the only character-like object that is interoperable is the Fortran
equivalent of C's char.  As far as I know, there have been no proposals
for interoperability with wchar_t.