[MPI3 Fortran] What to do with mpif.h in MPI-3?

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Jan 26 10:02:26 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:53:34PM +0000, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
>> 2. In the same section, we explicitly list what in MPI is incompatible
>> with both Fortran 77 (including the 6 character thing that was already
>> mentioned -- you couldn't even have MPI_SEND or MPI_INIT!) and Fortran
>> 90. Both lists are already non-empty.
>
> '_' wasn't allowed, either!
>
>> I think this is a pretty strong statement that we do *not* need to be
>> 100% compatible with the Fortran specification as it was 30+ years ago.
>
> I want a Fortran II interface :-)
:-)

> More seriously, Fortran 77 compilers are dead.  Essentially all are options
> to Fortran 90 compilers, and the meaning is usually to allow all of the
> features of Fortran 90 that do not break the ABI, often combined with the
> detection of all the major syntactic extensions introduced in Fortran 90.
>
> I don't even know any significant, currently active codes that are still in
> pure Fortran 77.
I know at least one file in a significant code, but I agree in general
that F77 is dead.

I agree to both of you, thus, we should not talk about F77 bindings in
the future. I propose to use the terms F90 bindings and "type-safe F90"
to distinguish between the old and the new bindings. We should also
check the standard and all new proposals for consistency.

All the Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler       | Postdoctoral Fellow