[MPI3 Fortran] One more MPI Fortran thing...

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at newmexicoconsortium.org
Thu Jan 21 22:14:38 CST 2010

This is a good question that Bill Long should respond to.

Bill has long claimed that Cray's coarray implementation works fine with their MPI library.  I'm not sure what this means precisely.  Certainly there is no problem with using the MPI API with a coarray program that I can think of because MPI would just do send/recv using local memory (but I can imagine some interesting race conditions if users aren't careful).  I would guess that mpirun would have to know it is running a coarray program so that the two runtimes don't interfere with each other.

I think running a hybrid MPI and coarray program will be common as MPI has more functionality at the moment (and probably always as it is library based).

-craig