[MPI3 Fortran] Request for a straw vote.

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Tue Jun 23 02:19:12 CDT 2009

Lionel, Steve wrote:
>> But I can also see that it would be a PITA for programmers to have to
>> specify *every* argument to MPI functions, and potentially have to
>> translate between their MPI-argument-variables and non-MPI-argument-
>> variables.  Shrug.
> No - programmers do NOT have to do this just because kinds are specified.
I am with Steve on this one. Kinds clarify distinctions, but are not the
final word---they are simply an alias and will almost always point to
the "default integer", so simple code will work. But, safer, clear code
can be written as well.
If we were talking about subtypes, it would be a more difficult
discussion (compromise between ease and safety). This one seems to be a
simple decision to me.
Best,
Aleks