[MPI3 Fortran] Request for a straw vote.

Lionel, Steve steve.lionel at intel.com
Mon Jun 22 11:08:15 CDT 2009

Jeff Squyres wrote:

>> 5. Q: Should default integer kinds be used for most integer
>> parameters?
>>     A: Yes, this has not caused problems in the past and will have the
>> least impact on existing code.
>>     NOTE: A specified kind, MPI_COUNT_KIND will be used for buffer
>> count arguments.
>>

>But I can also see that it would be a PITA for programmers to have to
>specify *every* argument to MPI functions, and potentially have to
>translate between their MPI-argument-variables and non-MPI-argument-
>variables.  Shrug.

No - programmers do NOT have to do this just because kinds are specified. If default integer happens to match the declared kind, it will just work without coding changes.  If programmers want to use the kinds, they can, and would be encouraged to, but it is not required.

Using kind values in the interfaces is an aid to documenting what is expected and avoids surprises.

Steve Lionel
Intel Developer Support
Nashua, NH