[MPI3 Fortran] MPI Fortran bindings

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Fri Jun 5 14:05:45 CDT 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 11:54, Lionel, Steve wrote:

> To the MPI-using programmer, it tells them what to put in their
> source.
What more does it tell them than is there already in MPI 1?
This is what I am trying to understand.

For example, assume the actual is a polymorphic array:

CLASS(*), DIMENSION(:), ... :: x ! Could be dummy or allocatable

CALL MPI_...(buffer=x, ...)

What does your proposed interface tell the programmer about this case?

>  There are a variety of ways it could be done
The devil is in the details. Find one that is agreed upon, instead of
invoking the existence of it. You, for example, proposed:

<type>, dimension(*), intent(IN) :: BUF

That does not allow a scalar actual, unless it is an element of an array
(in which case it means something else than passing the scalar itself).
Is this the agreed intention?

Jeff wrote:
> I honestly don't care how the (void*)-like behavior is denoted;
> that's   the advice that I'm asking from this group.
There is no void*-like behavior in Fortran! You can invent notations for
something that does not exist but that does make it clearer to anyone!

Best,
Aleks