[MPI3 Fortran] Should new features be retrofitted to Fortran 77bindings?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Dec 11 14:46:42 CST 2009

To be absolutely clear on this point: we're not talking about abondoning the F77 bindings, or even F77 users.  We're talking about *new* MPI-3 features that might have difficulty with F77 bindings.  For such cases, should we just punt and say "this new MPI-3 feature is only available in the F2003 bindings"?

Like Craig, I think that this might be a reasonable position: if you want to use the newest, latest, greatest stuff, you need to upgrade to the F2003 bindings.

Don't forget that we have full interop between the F77 and F2003 bindings (being able to convert handles back and forth), so even if someone has a huge legacy F77 code, they can write one subroutine with "use mpi3" and still have it work properly with the rest of their MPI F77 code.