[MPI3 Fortran] Summary of items on the table

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 28 18:11:46 CDT 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 16:02, Bill Long wrote:
> The only thing you skip is
> argument conformance checking.
It may be the "only thing" for the purposes of the compiler. But for a
language, it makes any program which makes such a mismatch ill-defined. This
was the whole point of introducing interfaces---to check against bad
programs. Explicitly allowing semantically undefined programs is highly
dubious, to say the least. I would never support such a proposal. And I am
sure all non-vendor people on J3 won't either. Program safety and clarity has
always been a goal for those people, and with a good purpose: To provide a
check for compiler vendors who vote based on other principles...
Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/donev