[MPI3 Fortran] Summary of items on the table

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Mon Apr 28 14:51:41 CDT 2008

Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> There has been quite a lot of traffic in the past couple of months
> regarding possible directions for a new MPI binding for Fortran.  I
> thought now would be a good time to summarize and try to get a
> consensus on what direction we should pursue.  Some choices will
> require changes to the Fortran standard and this input we need to get
> to the Fortran standards committee within the next two weeks.
>
> The major choice we need to make is how to declare an MPI "choice
> buffer" (void *) in a Fortran interface.  I'll list the options below
> with advantages and disadvantages as I see them.  Please rank these
> options (they all will use F2003 BIND(C)).
>
> 1. Map void* to C_PTR.  Upside: this will work now in most compilers
> and likely all soon.  Downside: users must change the call site to use
> C_LOC to obtain the C address; C_LOC requires the POINTER or TARGET
> attribute and may reduce performance and require additional code changes.

Changing the actual argument to a C_LOC reference also has the side
effect of making the actual argument an expression whose value is not a
Fortran pointer.  Thus, the corresponding dummy argument cannot be
defined.  A problem for about half of the interesting MPI cases.

> 2. Map void* to a new Fortran type C_VOID.  Upside: no changes to
> current code (I think). Downside: would require a change in the
> Fortran standard and couldn't be done until Fortran 20xx (a long time
> before we see it in compilers).

I think the downside here is significant.  Adding a new intrinsic type
has significant ramifications for compiler internals.   I think chances
for this to be added even in 20xx are slim.

> 3. Map void* to type(C_VOID) defined in the ISO_C_BINDING intrinsic
> module and add LANG=C to the Fortran standard.  Upside: no changes to
> current code other than to USE the MPI3 module.  Downside: it will
> require changes to the Fortran standard but can get to users
> relatively soon (before F2008 appears in compilers).
>
> 4. Add an IGNORE attribute with parameters T (type) K (kind) R (rank)
> for BIND(C) interfaces.  This pretty much (as I understand it) does
> the same thing as #3, just with different syntax and with slightly
> more flexibility (partial type checking).  Upside: see #3.  Downside:
> see #3.

Option 3 is basically a subset of 4 that allows only IGNORE(TKR) and
restricts the usage to BIND(C) procedures that are written in C.  Option
4 is more general, and does not require breaking the F/C symmetry in the
current rules.  Perhaps a more compelling case for 4 is that many
compilers already support this functionality through compiler
directives.  (How do you think we implement our MPI modules today?)
Use of 4 would not have to be limited to BIND(C) interfaces.  Because of
existing directives, I think 4 will be easy for most vendors to accept.
One of the J3 alternates from Intel has already stated this is his
preferred choice.

> Aleks has submitted a proposal to the Fortran J3 committee to improve
> on the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute.  Hopefully this can make it into the
> F2008 standard and fix problems associated with copyin/copyout
> semantics and with code motion associated with asynchronous MPI
> calls.  A question I have is there a problem with copyin/copyout for
> synchronous MPI?

At least there is a performance degradation.   For codes that use a lot
of memory already, you increase the risk of going over some limit.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com