[MPI3 Fortran] Summary of items on the table

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at lanl.gov
Mon Apr 28 14:12:02 CDT 2008

There has been quite a lot of traffic in the past couple of months
regarding possible directions for a new MPI binding for Fortran.  I
thought now would be a good time to summarize and try to get a
consensus on what direction we should pursue.  Some choices will
require changes to the Fortran standard and this input we need to get
to the Fortran standards committee within the next two weeks.

The major choice we need to make is how to declare an MPI "choice
buffer" (void *) in a Fortran interface.  I'll list the options below
with advantages and disadvantages as I see them.  Please rank these
options (they all will use F2003 BIND(C)).

1. Map void* to C_PTR.  Upside: this will work now in most compilers
and likely all soon.  Downside: users must change the call site to
use C_LOC to obtain the C address; C_LOC requires the POINTER or
TARGET attribute and may reduce performance and require additional
code changes.

2. Map void* to a new Fortran type C_VOID.  Upside: no changes to
current code (I think). Downside: would require a change in the
Fortran standard and couldn't be done until Fortran 20xx (a long time
before we see it in compilers).

3. Map void* to type(C_VOID) defined in the ISO_C_BINDING intrinsic
module and add LANG=C to the Fortran standard.  Upside: no changes to
current code other than to USE the MPI3 module.  Downside: it will
require changes to the Fortran standard but can get to users
relatively soon (before F2008 appears in compilers).

4. Add an IGNORE attribute with parameters T (type) K (kind) R (rank)
for BIND(C) interfaces.  This pretty much (as I understand it) does
the same thing as #3, just with different syntax and with slightly
more flexibility (partial type checking).  Upside: see #3.  Downside:
see #3.

Aleks has submitted a proposal to the Fortran J3 committee to improve
on the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute.  Hopefully this can make it into the
F2008 standard and fix problems associated with copyin/copyout
semantics and with code motion associated with asynchronous MPI
calls.  A question I have is there a problem with copyin/copyout for
synchronous MPI?

I'm currently at the April MPI Forum where I'll collect votes.
Others please add your feedback (rank the options) in email (actually
it would be helpful for the record to get email from everyone within
shouting distance).

A question just came up about passing CHARACTER parameters.  Comments?

Regards,
Craig