[mpi3-coll] Additional edits 2

Adam Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 4 12:19:23 CST 2009

Also against revision 3.

I'd like to make the language in the descriptions for the data movement
collectives consistent across the different collectives.  The text skips
around with several different flavors.  Personally, I like this template
best:

    "MPI_Ixxx starts a nonblocking variant of MPI_Xxx.  The data
movement after MPI_Ixxx completes is identical to the data movement
after MPI_Xxx completes (see Section 5.Y)."

This would apply to bcast, gather, gatherv, scatter, scatterv,
allgather, allgatherv, alltoall, alltoallv, and alltoallw.  We could add
mention of inter- and intra-communicators here if folks would like to,
but I like the simplicity of the above template myself -- leave all
description up to the corresponding blocking section and provide a back
reference.

Of couse, for the reductions: reduce, allreduce, reduce_scatter, scan,
and exscan; we still need more discussion on what "delivers the same
results" mean in the current description since the blocking and
nonblocking operations may use different algorithms and we have the
associativity issue.
-Adam