[mpi3-coll] Non-blocking Collectives Proposal Draft

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Wed Oct 15 20:27:12 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 04:42:45PM -0700, Bronis R. de Supinski wrote:

> Rajeev and Torsten:
>
> I believe that Rajeev is correct. The Chicago Manual of
> Style passge that Torsten cited is not germane. It deals
> with whether you are supposed to add hyphens to adjective/
> noun combinations that are being used as adjectives, e.g.,
> "graduate student" (instead of "graduate-student") in
> graduate student housing. It has nothing to do with
> hyphenating compound words or words that are synthesized
> by adding well defined prefixes to existing words.
ok, I capitulate with the hyphen :). But after reading CMS 7.90 and
8.170, http://amaediting.blogspot.com/2008/07/hyphenated-prefixes.html
and http://www.nyu.edu/classes/copyXediting/Hyphens.html , and talking
to more native speakers, I would say that everything seems to be evolving
to closed prefixes.

So as weird as it looks, I'd propose "nonblocking" as the way to go (I
guess I should like it as a German). Any opinions on this?

Best,
  Torsten

--
"Our two greatest problems are gravity and paper work. We can lick