[mpi3-coll] Non-blocking Collectives Proposal Draft

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 15 15:24:49 CDT 2008

I just walked over to our editor, Gail Pieper, and asked her the reason. She
said that if the alphabets that the prefix connects are different, as in
nonblocking or noncontiguous, the convention nowadays is to drop the hyphen.
You would keep the hyphen in words like re-establish and also in words that
would read weird without the hyphen, like non-organic (nono rganic). This is
the convention followed by the Chicago Manual of Style, the Associated Press
Manual, and the MLA Manual (Modern Language Association).

> Also, if you do the <pick your favorit search enigne> test (I know ...
> but languages are dynamically changed by their users), you'll see that
> non-blocking seems to be the most-used term in the I/O and
> communication
> context.

Web searches are not useful for this because most people's English is not
that good.

Rajeev