[mpi3-coll] Non-blocking Collectives Proposal Draft

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Wed Oct 15 14:59:51 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 02:49:03PM -0500, Rajeev Thakur wrote:
> > 1) The MPI-2.1 document has 127 occurrences of "nonblocking"
> > and only 8
> > occurrences of "non-blocking". What would be the correct
> > term? Should we try to be more consistent?
>
> The technical editor in our division prefers the version without the hyphen.
> She will remove the hyphen in our papers.
hmm, I would disagree - I had exactly the same discussion with our
technical editor :). She explained me for 15 minutes why it is
"non-blocking" and not "nonblocking" or "non blocking".

Also, if you do the <pick your favorit search enigne> test (I know ...
but languages are dynamically changed by their users), you'll see that
non-blocking seems to be the most-used term in the I/O and communication
context.

I'm open for arguments!

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler       | Postdoctoral Researcher