[mpi3-coll] Nonblocking collectives standard draft

Christian Siebert siebert at it.neclab.eu
Mon Dec 1 11:24:57 CST 2008

Greg Bronevetsky wrote:

>> There is already a ticket for MPI-2.2 to deprecate it. However, there
>> was some discussion. We will discuss this again at the next meeting.
>> Until then, I just leave the text as is. Please let me know if you have
>> a proposal for better wording.
>
> Yes, that sounds best. The issue with the ticket is that it breaks
> existing programs and therefore doesn't work for 2.2. However, if we
> agree that MPI_Request_free is a bad idea, we can push for its removal
> as part of the 3.0 working groups. If we succeed, we won't need to worry
> about this text.
Not necessarily - we could try to deprecate it in 2.2, in order to
remove it in 3.0.

However, if you all already think that MPI_Request_free is bad, then
what do you think about the evil MPI_Cancel?

Best regards,
    Christian

--
Christian Siebert, Dipl.-Inf.               Research Associate

            NEC Laboratories Europe, NEC Europe Ltd.
        Rathausallee 10, D-53757 Sankt Augustin, Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 2241 - 92 52 44    Fax: +49 (0) 2241 - 92 52 99

  (Registered Office: 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL, 2832014)