[Mpi3-bwcompat] MPI Backward Compatibility Working Group

Fab Tillier ftillier at [hidden]
Fri Mar 11 23:07:44 CST 2011

Hi Rajeev,

A data buffer can't be larger than MPI_Aint in memory, but an MPI Datatype can be larger than what can fit in memory, and thus larger than MPI_Aint.  MPI_Count allows such large datatypes to be represented and used in MPI, even if they can't be held in memory all at once.

This proposal is intended to (minimally) solve the I/O problem, not just large network transfers.

Does that make sense?
-Fab

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi3-bwcompat-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi3-bwcompat-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Rajeev Thakur
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 8:06 PM
To: MPI-3 backwards compatability WG
Subject: Re: [Mpi3-bwcompat] MPI Backward Compatibility Working Group

What was the motivation for the new MPI_Type_get_extent_x and MPI_Type_get_true_extent_x functions?

If we say MPI_Count should be at least as large as MPI_Aint, why can't we just use MPI_Aint instead? The data buffer can't be larger than Aint size. I know that for I/O MPI_Offset can be larger than Aint, but this proposal does not solve the I/O problem as far as I know.

https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/265

Rajeev