[Mpi3-bwcompat] MPI_Count mixing with int...

Fab Tillier ftillier at [hidden]
Thu Jul 8 23:20:01 CDT 2010

Rajeev Thakur wrote on Thu, 8 Jul 2010 at 18:24:16

> You can define a filetype that is many Gbytes and read only a small part
> of it. The filetype is specified in MPI_File_set_view and is not passed
> in the read/write calls. The datatype passed in the read/write calls
> refers to the buffer passed to that call.

Perfect, thanks for the example!  Does this imply that MPI_Type_get_extent, which returns an MPI_Aint, might overflow the extent parameter on a 32-bit platform on which a user defines a many Gbyte filetype?  How should we address this (there are probably other APIs affected similarly)?

-Fab