[Mpi3-bwcompat] Stealing the working group

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Thu Jan 7 07:43:40 CST 2010

Gah -- the meeting time and information fell off my calendar.  Can you resend?  I may have already inadvertently scheduled a conflict...  :-(

-----

Notes on slides:

Slide 5: can you explain the con "...since it may double memory usage"?

Slide 7: might want to mention Fortran function overloading, a la C++ (which would alter the spirit of the "Fortran (if implementation is using 32-bit counts)" comment on slide 8) -- i.e., this could be a F2003 bindings-and-onward solution only...?

Slide 9: Might want to re-title this -- I think you're saying what I said in my above bullet (only fix the "large" count issue for the F2003-and-beyond bindings), but your title says "Drop Fortran 77 support", which taken out of content (and it will be ;-) ), will create an uproar because people will assume that you're dropping F77 support altogether.  You didn't mean that, right?  :-)

Slide 10: I don't think that never having used TYPE in Fortran before is a con -- we're going to use it in the F2003 bindings, for example.

Slide 10: I'm not sure why 3b is different than 3a (or even 2) -- why not have an MPI_COUNT type *and* use fortran/c++ function overloading?  int/INTEGER counts can be deprecated -- push users towards MPI_COUNT over time.

Slide 11: is that your actual recommendation?  If so, I'm confused by bullet #2...

(I'm probably reflecting my bias of using fortran function overloading here...)

On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Solt, David George wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, MPI_Count/long send counts is the backward compatibility WG's charter, but I'm hoping that this is a good set of the Forum to run my slide deck by.  I'm trying to put together a status and a proposal of this issue for the next meeting so that we don't spend 50% of our time there talking about this again with no resolution.   (50% of our time would be ok if we came to a resolution).  I won't be there so I'm also going to look for volunteers to present this.  I may get someone from Platform Computing, since they are ex-HP-MPI people who initially created this ticket, but if someone is really interested to present it, let me know.  So, if you could look at these slides and give me feedback, that would be great!
>
> Also, don't forget we are schedule to meet this coming Friday.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

> Mpi3-bwcompat mailing list
> Mpi3-bwcompat_at_[hidden]