[Mpi-forum] Preparations for the March MPI Forum Meeting

Martin Schulz schulzm at in.tum.de
Sun Jan 13 18:27:57 CST 2019

Hi all,

I wanted to give you all a heads-up on the March meeting and some additional information to help with travel arrangements:

The MPI Forum meeting will happen as usual from Monday afternoon (starting at 2pm) to Thursday (12:30pm). However, at the last few meetings participation in the WGs was mixed, but we always ran out of plenary time (due to some larger tickets - sessions, events, fault behavior, …) which caused - rightfully - larger discussions. Since we need to get these through if we want to have a chance for an MPI 4.0 standard, we decided during the last forum in San Jose to skip WG meetings this time and focus only on plenaries. The hope is that this will accelerate the process.

Note, this is NOT intended as permanent change and is likely to revert back to the normal format for June, unless we decide differently in Chattanooga. Further, if a WG urgently needs time, please let me and Tony know and we can try to accommodate times bordering the forum (e.g., Monday AM or Thursday PM).

Further, there are plans for two associate events - both are not part of the forum (and hence not on the core agenda), but closely related:

On Monday morning before the forum (until 2pm) Kathryn Mohror and Josh Hursey are planning a kick-off meeting for a possible standardization effort on an interface that could replace MPIR (but going beyond just MPI)

Meeting name: System Runtime Interface Kick-off Meeting

Meeting description: We are forming a community of folks interested in establishing a formal standard API specification between applications/tools and system runtime environments. This standard interface will focus on supporting HPC application launch and wire-up; tools that wish to inspect, steer, and/or debug parallel applications; interfaces to manage dynamic workload applications; interfaces to support fault tolerance and cross-library coordination; and communication across container boundaries.

On Friday, Tony is planning on an "MPI-Beyond Worskhop” workshop to discuss larger topics on future architecture designs for MPI-next-next.

For both events, the respective organizers will send more information separately, but if you are interested, please take this into account in your travel arrangements. Also, there will be separate (small) fees for these events to cover food (similar to what we do at the core forum).

I hope this helps with planning,

—
Email: schulzm at in.tum.de