[Mpi-forum] The Progress Engine

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:05:52 CST 2016

This question relates to implementation details, not the MPI standard, so
this isn't the right place for it.  Can you post this on StackOverflow?
That's probably the best place for it.  Lots of MPI+MPICH experts are
active on StackOverflow...

Best,

Jeff

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 6:03 AM, Roman Tereshkov <rtereshkov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I have a challenge from my scientific supervisor – I have to understand
> how send & recv operations work in pt2pt communication. He said that I have
> to find some magic stuff like "The Progress Engine" because that`s the main
> thing which allows a message to pass from one process to another (that`s
> how I understand him). So, I started with the MPICH code from "fossies [.]
> org". Started with MPI_Send function and here I found functions
> MPID_Progress_start/wait/end. Is it "The Progress Engine" thing? If yes,
> then why when I try to check what code do these functions contain, I get
> only their description? I mean there is no code.. just prototypes and
> description, and that`s it. Also, I googled information about TPE and
> "MPICH Wiki" says that TPE is implemented as MPIDI_CH3I_Progress. So, I
> found this function in the implementation but at which point is it called?
> Well, maybe my understanding of "The Progress Engine" mechanism is
> incorrect? Tell me where am I wrong, please.

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/