[Mpi-forum] The Progress Engine

Roman Tereshkov rtereshkov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:03:26 CST 2016

Hi, everyone!

I have a challenge from my scientific supervisor – I have to understand how
send & recv operations work in pt2pt communication. He said that I have to
find some magic stuff like "The Progress Engine" because that`s the main
thing which allows a message to pass from one process to another (that`s
how I understand him). So, I started with the MPICH code from "fossies [.]
org". Started with MPI_Send function and here I found functions
MPID_Progress_start/wait/end. Is it "The Progress Engine" thing? If yes,
then why when I try to check what code do these functions contain, I get
only their description? I mean there is no code.. just prototypes and
description, and that`s it. Also, I googled information about TPE and
"MPICH Wiki" says that TPE is implemented as MPIDI_CH3I_Progress. So, I
found this function in the implementation but at which point is it called?
Well, maybe my understanding of "The Progress Engine" mechanism is
incorrect? Tell me where am I wrong, please.