[Mpi-forum] user-defined reductions and re-entrancy

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 20 13:19:14 CDT 2015

The standard doesn’t explicitly address this.

However, in the spirit of the standard, I would say yes, multiple threads may be used.  The behavior of side effects of the function are not defined, nor is it required to apply to elements 0..n-1 in that order in an n-element vector (this is a vector on each process; the is/is-not commutative applies between processes).  Rather than try to enumerate and disallow certain actions, I think this is the right solution - the action of the user function on the input parameters is defined; nothing else should be.  An implementation might warn users that the function may be called by multiple threads concurrently (e.g., to use atomic memory operations to count invocations or increment “evil”).

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
Chief Scientist, NCSA
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign