[Mpi-forum] Cancelling a send matched by a matching probe

Marek Tomáštík tomastik.marek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 06:12:44 CDT 2015

Hello,
I am trying to find out what should happen, according to the MPI 3.0*
standard, in the following scenario:
1) process 0 initiates a nonblocking send operation with MPI_Issend
2) process 1 matches the message with MPI_Mprobe, but doesn't yet call MPI_
Mrecv/MPI_Imrecv
3) process 0 calls MPI_Cancel to cancel the send.

I cannot think of anything the cancel operation could do that wouldn't
contradict either the specification of MPI_Cancel, or of the matched
receive functions. How can this situation be handled in compliance with the
standard?

Thank you in advance,
Marek Tomáštík

*or 3.1 -- I believe there weren't any changes in this area?