[Mpi-forum] large count support not as easy as people seem to have thought

Moody, Adam T. moody20 at llnl.gov
Tue May 6 22:08:15 CDT 2014

Hi Jeff,
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Constraining the uses makes sense.

I had been considering the general case.  And I was also worried about dealing with 128-bit file systems.  I can imagine there may be some cases for really large datatypes in MPI I/O on 128-bit file systems, especially dealing with file views.

BTW, I did convince myself that you can at least handlecontiguous types of an arbitrary length type(k) with an inductive proof.

Base case:
  type(1) == this is a predefined type

Inductive step:
Assume all types 1-k can be created, now consider k+1:
if k+1 is even
  type(k+1) == type_contiguous(2, type(k/2))
if k+1 is odd
  lens = {1,1}
  disps = {0, extent(type(1))}
  types = {type(1), type(k)}
  type(k+1) == type_struct(2, lens, disps, types)
  since extent(type(1)) is the extent of a predefined type, it is less than MPI_Aint

-Adam