[Mpi-forum] Did we screw up the const bindings in MPI-3?

Schulz, Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Fri May 24 17:51:13 CDT 2013

I haven't tried it with PnMPI (I'll try to do that before the meeting in San Jose), but we scan the mpi.h file. We have found this generally to be a good idea, since not always all routines are implemented and the tool works for MPI-1 and MPI-2 alike. In general, though, tools basically implement the MPI routines and with changing prototypes, they have to change as well. If a tool has a static wrapper, it needs #ifdefs for MPI-3 anyway to cover the new MPI routines.

>From a tools community point of view it would be good to come with such a wrapper generator once and then have everyone use it, which would not only eliminate this issue, but also make the Fortran issue much simpler. The tools WG is planing to have a discussion in San Jose on whether we can create such a wrapper infrastructure that actually produces Fortran implementations along with the C implementations, which may make the whole symbol naming issue unnecessary. Adding a C version to such a wrapper system would be trivial.

Martin