[Mpi-forum] ABI

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Dec 5 12:14:15 CST 2013

I think there was one other key takeaway from the ABI WG: it would seem like a good public solution would be to develop an open source morph MPI layer that can talk to any MPI implementation on the back-end.

A few people have tried this over the years with moderate success, but I don't think that anyone has fully implemented MPI3 and pushed it to the entire HPC community.  So none of them have gotten too widely adopted.

My $0.02 is that a public, free, open source Morph MPI layer with an active community behind it would still be a very good starting point for whatever could be achieved via some kind of binary compatibility.