[Mpi-forum] MPI-next

Schulz, Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Mon Dec 16 22:02:07 CST 2013

Hi all,

During the last MPI forum meeting in Chicago we had a discussion on what MPI-next should be and by when we should have it out. We basically looked at five options:

- Skip any MPI 3.x and go straight to MPI 4.0
- MPI 3.1 for minor additions and incl. errata, MPI 4.0 for major additions
- MPI 3.1 only for errata, MPI 4.0 for anything else
- MPI 3.1 for errata, MPI 3.2 for small enhancements, then MPI 4.0
- MPI 3.0.1 for errata, MPI 3.1 for small enhancements, then MPI 4.0

Out of those, the majority favored the second option - create an MPI 3.1 that includes errata and minor additions, followed by an MPI 4.0 later. We left what is minor and what is not out of the discussion for now, though, with the idea to look at the tickets that are ready one by one. Further, a majority favored a rather short timeline for MPI 3.1. In particular, we discussed shooting for making the March meeting the last one during which additions for MPI 3.1 could be read, which would get us to a standard by December.

If someone feels this is too short of a timeline and would cause important things for MPI 3.1 to not be included, please speak up and we can continue the discussion over email.

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA