[Mpi-forum] MPI "Allocate receive" proposal

Anthony Skjellum tony at cis.uab.edu
Mon Aug 26 14:29:01 CDT 2013

If I understand this correctly, some of us suggested allocate-on-receive, free-on-send mode,
but left this out in MPI-1.  I advocated this type of reactive semantics ... That's how
the Reactive Kernel worked at Caltech for instance...  Allowing for MPI to choose efficient memory for messages of some sizes
can provide nice properties, provided the memory is good to compute in.  There are always concerns about starvation from holding
the messages too long :-)

I'd like to see this get full consideration.  It could be a big help in exascale to have fine-grain computing.

For instance, could we not get zero-copy unexpected short messages in this way?

Tony