[Mpi-forum] MPI "Allocate receive" proposal

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:05:52 CDT 2013

When does this actually improve performance?  If memory is a limiting
factor, it merely eliminates a function call.  If memory is limiting, I
don't see how doing extra ping-pong to keep from hitting OOM errors is
noticeable.

JeffS and Dave: What's the use case?  So far, I fail to see how this is
more than icing.

Jeff

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Sur, Sayantan <sayantan.sur at intel.com>wrote:

> This is a good feature to have in general that improves performance,
> although the devil is in the details.
>
> What is the app trying to do when it finds itself in the quandary of
> having to accept any sized message (probably from any source as well?). It
> appears to me that the kind of app that is looking for this feature, or
> could benefit from this feature is really looking for a many-to-one (or
> one-to-one, many-to-many) reliably connected stream. It is likely that the
> app that benefits significantly from this feature will be repeatedly using
> this call to fetch differing amounts of data each time.
>
> A few meetings ago, Bill mentioned that it would be good to think of the
> standard as a whole and not get bogged down in narrow use-cases. He
> proposed that a streaming model be added to MPI P2P communications. Can
> this use-case be included in that model?
>
> Thanks,
> Sayantan

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com