[Mpi-forum] [EXTERNAL] Re: MPI "Allocate receive" proposal

Barrett, Brian W bwbarre at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 26 11:06:00 CDT 2013

Jeff -

I think it is different from a standards point of view, and has been
different for some implementations.  Take the Portals 3 implementation on
Red Storm; the implementation did not allocate memory internally after
MPI_INIT.  So there was never a point at which the implementation would
receive a message and try to allocate memory to land it.  The user might
be faced with that decision, but she can also free other user memory to
make space for the incoming message before posting the receive.  So I
think it is, semantically, different.

That being said, I don't think resource exhaustion corner cases are a deal
breaker for me.  I think some implementation-dependent phrasing might be
acceptable.  It might be useful to define the message
transmission/matching semantics for these corner cases.  For example, if
MPI_Arecv returns an error because of resource exhaustion, is the message
lost (my preference) or left in the receive queue?  If the message is
lost, what happens to the sender if the send was a synchronous send?

Brian