[Mpi-forum] Meeting schedule for 2013

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 27 07:47:26 CDT 2012

Rolf:

Re:
>> even years: 3US+euroMPI
>> odd years: 2US,1Asia+EuroMPI.
>
> Yes, this was the last position at the Forum and also discussed
> at the EuroMPI business meeting.

As I understand the situation, this option was not discussed
at the Forum. As stated previously, the matter was decided in
Chicago and reopening it without an announcement was inappropriate.

In addition, what is discussed at the EuroMPI business meeting
is not relevant. It is not their decision.

> The MPI Forum was re-started by the activities at several EuroMPI
> conferences, the last one at Paris 2007.
>
> Therefore, there is a strong relationship and resposibility
> and to have the MPI Forum meeting in US and the EuroMPI in Europe
> both in fall, would not reflect this responsibility.
>
> As far as I see, the colleagues in Madrid would like to host the
> MPI Forum meeting together with the EuroMPI and therefore,
> I expect - based on the previous meeting rules - we will have
>
>  MPI-next Forum meeting Sep. 11-13, 2013,
>  (instead of Sep. 9-11 in San Jose), and
>  EuroMPI, Sep. 15-18, 2013, both in Madrid, Spain
>
> This may change in later years if the EuroMPI may go to Asia,
> but this is another discussion within the EuroMPI organizers.

What I hear is that holding the MPI Forum meeting
separately from EuroMPI would damage EuroMPI. Well,
forcing the Forum to co-locate is putting the cart
before the horse. If EuroMPI cannot withstand a
separate meeting, as decided by the Forum, then
EuroMPI needs to adapt -- not the other way around.

As was previously suggested, EuroMPI is free to rebrand
as International MPI and to co-locate with Forum meetings.
If the conference demonstrated that flexibility, I would
be more willing to consider their desires as an MPI
Forum voting member.

Bronis