[Mpi-forum] ticket 273

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Wed May 30 16:02:28 CDT 2012

The way to make sure that 1/0/17 votes don't pass is for a few of the
17 abstains to grow a pair and vote "no" if they do not want the vote
to pass.  By induction, I believe that 8/1/7 should pass because if 7
voters have no reason to vote "no" and 8 of the 9 that care think it
should pass, then that means the proposal is pretty good.  Not
universally exciting perhaps, but still worthy of inclusion in the
standard.

Abstain votes seem to indicate either (1) the voter does not feel
qualified to evaluate the ticket or (2) the voter is too political
correct aka cowardly to express a useful opinion.  In the case of (1),
abstain should really mean nothing and not "no" so that unqualified
voters don't inadvertently sink good proposals just because they don't
care about or don't understand them.  In the case of (2), if I thought
I could influence Fortune 500 companies to do the right thing, I would
go after much bigger fish than MPI.

Jeff