[Mpi-forum] ticket 273

Richard Graham richardg at mellanox.com
Wed May 30 15:01:13 CDT 2012

Let's clarify what happened here.  I was approached off line by someone that wanted clarification of the rules, with the specific intent of preferring to abstain in some instances, and have it have the same effect as no, rather than voting no explicitly.  With the fact that there were several items on the voting agenda that we knew would be close, a decision had to be made as to what "simple majority" means, so we discussed this with all folks in the room and there was no disagreement that simple majority meant more than 50% of the votes.  We did delay the votes until all vote eligible members that were supposed to be present arrived.

The argument on attendance is inaccurate, attendance was not that different than many US meetings, though less than recently.  However, less vote eligible entities were present.

Having said that, I do believe that if orgs that sent a representative with directions on how to vote, with the understanding that an abstain reduces the denominator, please let me know.  Also, please let me know what vote you would have changed.  As far as I know, Microsoft falls under this category, and perhaps IBM and Intel (just guessing based on what I have observed over the last 4 years).  If there is no impact, this is a mute point, otherwise, we will have to decide how to proceed.  Since this impacts only first votes, that still need to pass a second vote, the final outcome will not change.

Rich