[Mpi-forum] #273 Re: July meeting

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Jun 20 11:00:59 CDT 2012

I read the discussion on this topic and ticket #273 has
not the same problems as FT.
Voting was 8=yes, 20=no, 6=abstain.
The votes yes:no were 3:1 which is 75% pro ticket 273.
I do not know how the abstain-votes of #273 are related to
abstain votes in the major ticket on non-blocking collectives #109.

I would recommend to ask the voters who voted "abstain", whether
 - their "abstain" means "not voting" (which is always allowed
   for simple majority and would not count for the quorum
   of the single majority)
 - their "abstain" means a third flavor besides "yes" and "no"
   which would count to the quorum same as a no-vote.
Only in votings with absolute majority, the voters cannot
decide whether they are part of the basis used to calculate
the quorum.
In the past, nobody used the "missed" as a voting-option,
because you clearly stated that missed is used only by
the secretary to count who is out of the room.

Only when all "abstain" votes will answer with "third flavor"
then #273 has not passed first vote and will not proceed to 2nd vote.

If one of the organizations who voted with "abstain" would declare
that this meant "not voted", then ticket #273 clearly passed
the 1st vote.

best regards
Rolf