[Mpi-forum] MPI-3: MPI_T_ERR_... and MPI_ERR_LASTCODE

Adam T. Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 23 18:45:20 CDT 2012

This reminds me of the discussions we had on datatypes, regarding which
datatypes are available and can be used before MPI_Init is called.
Since people weren't keen on the fact of duplicating all of the
datatypes and associated routines for MPI_T, in that case, we boiled
down the list of datatypes allowed in MPI_T to a very limited set of the
existing MPI datatypes, and then required that implementations support
these after MPI_T_INIT but before MPI_INIT.

I think it's best to resolve this cleanly, even if that means things are
undefined between now and 3.1.  I can think of two "clean" ways to
resolve this:

    1) remove all overlap of MPI_T_ and MPI_ error codes, i.e., MPI_T_
errors live in a separate space from MPI_ errors, 0 = MPI_T_SUCCESS <
MPI_T_* < MPI_T_LAST_ERRCODE, and introduce new corresponding
MPI_T_ERROR_CLASS/STRING functions that can be invoked after
MPI_T_INIT.  Then all MPI_T functions return MPI_T error codes (and only
MPI_T error codes), which must be interpretted with the new MPI_T_ERROR*
functions.  Personally, it feels a little strange to pass an MPI_T_
error code to standard MPI_ functions, since we've otherwise separated
the interfaces as much as possible.

    2) Specify that MPI_T error codes can be passed to the existing
MPI_ERROR* functions, but require that implementations allow one to call
these functions before MPI_INIT (at least for MPI_T_ error codes).

By the way, does the standard say anything about calling MPI_ERROR*
functions before MPI_INIT?  What if someone wanted to process an error
code returned from one of the functions you are allowed to call before
MPI_INIT, such as MPI_INITIALIZED?
-Adam