[Mpi-forum] Process for handling of such comments - Fwd: [Mpi-comments] One comment on MPI-3.0 Draft 2, August 2012

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Aug 8 13:35:21 CDT 2012

Rich and Jeff and chapter authors,

yes, I looked on the two points (1. handling all comments, and
2. missing people on comments list) and additionally on
3. to act as soon as possible, i.e. not to waste discussion time;
4. to have a process that may work with "any" number of comments;
5. informing/involving the whole forum, because at the end,
   the whole forum must vote on MPI-3.0 and we do not want late
   discussions one day before voting;
6. works in vacation time because comments are diuscussed
   as early as possible and not after

Based on the proposal and the discussion and the up to now
small number of comments, I propose the following process:

1. Rich puts all chapter authors (not the whole chapter commitees)
   on the comments list.

2. When a comment on MPI-3.0 draft comes in (allowed until Sep. 6) then
    - the involved chapter author,
    - or any forum member,
    - (or Rich if the chapter author does not take the job)
   replies to the comment's author that the Forum will
   discuss his/her comment and will return with a reply,

   and forwards the comment to
     "Main MPI Forum mailing list" <mpi-forum at lists.mpi-forum.org>
   together with a meaningful subject mentioning also the
   comment's author, here e.g.

     "Fairness of MPI_ANY_SOURCE - Sebastien Boisvert"

   This helps match the two tracks in mpi-comments (typically only
   two mails) and mpi-forum (full internal discussion) email lists.

3. The comment is discussed on mpi-forum at lists.mpi-forum.org
   and a decision is done depending on our typical rules
    - small things are directly agreed by the chapter author,
    - small corrections are agreed by the chapter committee,
    - larger clarifications maybe discussed and agreed by
      the whole forum.
   Normally, corrections need broad consensus to be added to
   the document.

4. After consensus, a clear
    MPI-3.0 draft Aug. 02, 2012 page line reads
    but should read
   must be available.

5. This answer is sent by the responsible chapter author to the
   comment's author with CC to mpi-comments at mpi-forum.org

   (This 5th step also requires that the chapter authors are
    member of the comments list)

All these mails should be done before Sep. 10, 2012.

If there is real need for a telecon, it is scheduled on Sep. 10.

All decided changes go directly into approved svn.

Decision on the telecon must go until Sep 11 into the apporved trunk.

Final draft version is done on Sep. 12 and published
to the forum.

Because all chapter authors are involved and there is only one
"bottleneck" in item 1, this process should work for any
number (less 100 :-) of comments.

Rich, okay so?
If yes, we should start with the existing comments.
If no, then please propose another clear process (i.e. full text)
which works in vacation time (e.g., I will be most time off-line
in Sep. 3-14) and all the other constraints mentioned
at the beginning of this email.

Best regards
Rolf