[Mpi-forum] Review/Reading versions of #204 and #266

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Fri Sep 9 11:58:46 CDT 2011

Hi Fab,

On Sep 9, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Fab Tillier wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> As I won't be at the Greece meeting, I thought I would give you feedback now.
>
> I see that the string length handling is consistent with the silly precedent set with functions like MPI_COMM_GET_NAME, where the buffer length on input is assumed.  This is just bad software design, and I feel very strongly that we should from this pattern and have the string length specified on input by making the parameter INOUT just like you did for the MPI_T interfaces.

Thanks for the feedback - I fully agree with you that the new type
of string returns that we have adopted in MPI_T is much cleaner
and I do prefer it as well.

However, this ticket was only intended as a minor addition since
there was a common need and the forum liked the idea when I
presented it last time. Changing the interface would mean larger
changes by moving the interface descriptions up from MPI_T
into the general document (since this shouldn't be twice in the
document)and making it clear where it applies and where not
(Which of the existing routines would we change, which not?
Would we add double interfaces for existing routines?).

I would be happy to propose this as a separate ticket, but I would
like to hear from the rest of the forum first on how they feel about
this and what they think is the best way to do this. I am hesitant
to make such a larger proposal without knowing in which
direction this should go.

Martin