[Mpi-forum] MPI_Comm_create_group Meeting

James Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 8 15:57:47 CST 2011

Hi All,

Notes from yesterday's meeting are attached.  Please note that we are
moving all future discussion of this ticket to the mpi3-coll mailing list.

Best,
  ~Jim.

In attendance:

Adam Moody, David Goodell, Jim Dinan, Pavan Balaji, Fab Tiller, Bronis
de Supinski, Jeff Hammond

Item 1: Name of the routine.

We decided to stick with MPI_Comm_create group as the best way of
matching the MPI_CLASS_ACTION_SUBSET naming convention.

Item 2: Tag versus color.

We decided to use a tag, which is defined to be in a collective tag
space that is distinct from the point-to-point tag space.  The
collective tag will follow all MPI tag semantics, however it will not
conflict with any point-to-point tags (including MPI_ANY_TAG).  This
essentially exposes the expected implementation in the standard,
providing more flexible semantics to the user.  In addition, it allows
an implementation to make more efficient use of the tag space by
defining tag conflicts across tagged collective operations (currently
only MPI_Intercomm_create and MPI_Comm_create_group, but we could define
others in the future).

In a separate ticket, we can update MPI_Intercomm_create to specify that
its tag is also in the collective tag space.  This will be backward
compatible, but will make MPI_Intercomm_create considerably easier to
use because its tags will no longer conflict with point-to-point operations.

Tasks:

  * Jim will work on a revision of the text that follows the above
semantics.

  * The group will reconvene after Thanksgiving to review new text.

  * The group will move discussion to the collectives mailing list.