[Mpi-forum] MProbe proposal question

Barrett, Brian W bwbarre at sandia.gov
Fri May 6 08:35:53 CDT 2011

All -

The MProbe proposal (which was voted into MPI-3 in March) accidentally
neglected to update the list of handle manipulation functions in Section
16.3.4 (Transfer of Handles) to include two new lines:

MPI_Message MPI_Message_f2c(MPI_Fint message)
MPI_Fint MPI_Message_c2f(MPI_Message message)

Unfortunately, while I prototyped the implementation in Open MPI, I
neglected to implement the Fortran bindings (They're simple wrappers, who
needs 'em? :) ) until recently. So this slipped through the cracks when we
had the reading and votes on the original proposal.

Consistent with the other handle transfer functions (for Requests,
Windows, etc.), those are the only two lines which need to be changed.
I've talked to Torsten, and we propose suspending the 2 week rule for a
first reading at next week's Forum for of a proposal to add the two lines.
 I don't particularly like the idea on principle, but it's a very simple
change and we're running out of meetings before the October meeting (which
is when I assume we will vote on releasing a draft for SC).  If people
don't like that, any other thoughts on the best way to correct the
omission?

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett