[Mpi-forum] Comment on Fortran WG5 ballot N1846

Graham, Richard L. rlgraham at ornl.gov
Thu Mar 31 12:18:38 CDT 2011

Bill,
  The concern that was raised to me (I have not followed the standard, but
rely on other folks in the forum for this) is that there is potential for
incorrect behavior if a single data object is being used both for
computation and for asynchronous communication (disjoint portions of the
object are involved in each).  The specific concern, if I understood
things correctly - others, please correct me if I am wrong - that
compilers may respect the ASYNCHRONOUS only with respect to other fortran
libraries, such as fortran async I/O, and feel free to modify portions of
the buffer being used for communications, only later to restore the
parameters. If this is indeed what could happen, this would clearly be a
correctness problem for MPI.  Seems to me that if this is indeed an issue,
MPI will not be the only thing impacted, but also code using other
languages, async libraries, etc.
  It is possible that there is a misunderstanding here, but with the
concern about potential correctness issues, want to raise this earlier
rather than later.
  Is there something to be concerned about here ?

Thanks,
Rich