[Mpi-forum] Boost MPI as a C++ binding replacement

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 9 00:02:15 CST 2011

I believe the argument wasn't that Boost MPI was complete, but rather that the Boost MPI model was a better fit for  C++ than the MPI standard C++ bindings.

To me, the current state of having the C++ bindings deprecated, yet adding new deprecated bindings for only a subset of MPI-3 functionality is terrible - it is inconsistent and sloppy.  I would like the standard to be consistent, and at this point it seems that the "move the C++ bindings to a removed chapter" (ticket 281) idea has the broadest support.  I don't think anybody that has been vocal against removing the C++ bindings has been willing to step up to the plate and drive a proposal, unfortunately, partly because the straw votes held at the past few Forum meetings showed that investing in a proposal would be futile.

Personally, as long as the C++ bindings are optional, I don't really care what happens to them and could likely be convinced to support undeprecating them.

Cheers,
-Fab

Jeff Hammond wrote on Thu, 8 Dec 2011 at 15:58:35