[Mpi-forum] Request introspection

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Aug 1 18:50:30 CDT 2011

MPI now has 3 different types of requests that I can think of, with pending proposals for (at least) 2 more:

- point-to-point
- collective
- generalized
- timers (proposed)
- file (proposed)

Would it be worthwhile to have a simple introspection routine that can return an enum telling you the type of a request handle?  E.g., MPI_REQUEST_GET_TYPE that has an OUT parameter that will be set to MPI_REQUEST_PT2PT, MPI_REQUEST_COLLECTIVE, MPI_REQUEST_GENERALIZED, etc.

I can generally see how this might be useful to applications, but I can't think of a "must have" kind of use case.

Does anyone else think that this would be valuable / useful?

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: