[Mpi-forum] Comment on Fortran WG5 ballot N1846

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Apr 3 12:53:38 CDT 2011

Bill, John, and all together,

I want to explain the background of our comment from the MPI Forum,
why we expect that ASYNCHRONOUS and VOLATILE are quite different
und why we want to extent ASYNCHRONOUS to MPI nonblocking accesses
***without*** giving ASYNCHRONOUS a semantics similar to VOLATILE.

For this, I have a few questions, i.e., I would like to see
whether the background of our comment is correct, or not:

1. About the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute:
   I expect that the Fortran 2008 standard defines the outcome
   only if a user program is correct.
   If a program uses asynchronous Fortran I/O on a data structure
   buf (maybe an array or a derived type), and makes load and
   stores on buf (as part of numerical operations) in a program
   unit where buf is declared as ASYNCHRONOUS, then the outcome
   of the program is only defined, if the application is free
   of race-conditions.
   Freeness of race-conditions requires that store accesses
   are done only on that part of buf that are not part of
   asynchronous Fortran I/O. Load accesses can be done only
   on that part of buf that is not part of the asynchronous
   Fortran input.

   Is this correct?

2. A compiler can do optimizations based on the assumption
   that this freeness of race-conditions is given.

   If the application violates the requirement of
   freeness of race-conditions, then the optimizations
   are still okay because then, the outcome of the
   program is anyway undefined.

   Is this correct?

3. My third question is about such allowed optimizations:

   Let buf_read be the part of buf that is used for
   asynchronous Fortran input, and buf_write by output,
   and buf_no_IO is not used in such I/O.

   The compiler can assume that loads are in buf_no_IO
   and buf_write, and all stores only in buf_no_IO.

   All optimizations are allowed that modify the sequence
   of accesses as long as the numerical outcome is still
   correct. All intermediate caching in registers,
   local memories or memory caches and reuse of the data
   form this caches is allowed to minimize memory loads,
   e.g., blocked execution of loop nests to achieve an
   optimal cache reuse.
   If the same location is written more than once,
   only the last value must be written to the memory.
   All such optimizations are not in any conflict with
   the ongoing asynchronous I/O on buf because these
   optimizations touch only buf_no_IO (with loads and
   stores) and buf_write (only with loads).

   Is this correct?

4. One type of optimization seems to be invalid:

   The optimization must not use elements of buf that are not
   used in the numerical execution, because these parts may
   be part of buf_read or buf_write.
   I.e., if some elements of buf should be temporarily
   overwritten for a loop fusion, then
   copying the value of such an element into a scratch buffer,
   then executing the fused loop, and then restoring the
   element based on the scratch value,
   such an optimization is forbidden when buf is declared
   with the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute.

   Is this correct?

   (This is the example in our comment to your ballot,
   that we want to exclude through the use of the ASYNCHRONOUS
   attribute.)

5. If buf is without an ASYNCHRONOUS (or VOLATILE) attribute,
   then the optimization in 4. would be valid as long as
   there are no other constraints.

   Correct?

6. Now about VOLATILE, i.e., we declare buf as VOLATILE:
   All accesses to buf must be done directly from main memory.
   Usage of the registers or local memories inside of the CPU
   or GPU for caching data and reusing it for several accesses
   is forbidden.

   Is this correct?

7. With VOLATILE, it is also not allowed to modify the sequence
   of accesses, because "most recent" in Fortran 2008,
   5.3.19 VOLATILE attribute, Note 5.25, implies also that
   the sequence of the execution must not be modified.

   Is this correct?

8. The statements in 6. and 7. together mean that
   all the optimizations showed in 3. are forbidden.

   For me, these are the major differences between
   VOLATILE and ASYNCHROUNOUS.

   Is this correct?
   Do I miss something important?

Now about our comment for ballot 1846 on TR29113 in version N1845:

We need exactly the meaning of the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute extended
for other meanings of asynchronous input/output as e.g.,
asynchronous I/O in C (aio), nonblocking communication, one-sided
communication and non-blocking parallel I/O in MPI.

We want to have this extension with the same possibilities (see 3.)
and restrictions (see 4.) on numerical optimizations as if
the asynchronous Fortran I/O is implemented asynchronously.
This sentence defines our goal.

I expect that our wording

>> 1 An entity with the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute is a variable that may be
>>     subject to asynchronous input/output or other asynchronous access
>>     by means other than Fortran.
>>
>>     Asynchronous input/output can be any asynchronous access to the
>>     variable or parts of it, potentially within the scope of this
>>     standard by Fortran asynchronous I/O or possibly via methods
>>     outside the scope of this standard, such as the libc/POSIX
>>     asynchronous IO (aio) or nonblocking message passing, one-sided
>>     communication, or nonblocking parallel I/O as part of the Message
>>     Passing Interface (MPI) standard.

is not enough. It may be that an additional clarification is
necessary to make clear that the application still has to be free
of race-conditions.

Last question:
Which wording would you recommend to achieve our goal?

Best regards
Rolf