[Mpi-forum] Draft standard - take II

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Nov 2 08:08:20 CDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:56 PM, William Gropp wrote:

> I'll admit to some confusion about this myself, in large part because we didn't start with a separate branch, so the update process has changed.  Before the branch existed, changes had to be made in the trunk.  Perhaps its best if we figure out how to move forward after the draft version is ready.

(pardon me for bringing this back to the list; I think it is important to communicate clearly to everyone -- I know we're all busy, but if we want people to do work for the Forum, we need to specify exactly what they're supposed to do, and the mpi-forum list is a good mechanism to broadcast information like this)

What exactly are we supposed to be reviewing for the draft?  I've heard conflicting reports:

1. review the trunk; that's what's going to be the published draft.  Other changes go to the draft branch.
2. review the MPI-3.0-2010-11-draft branch; that's what's going to be the published draft. Other changes go to the trunk.

But even for both of these, I don't know exactly what r number to review.

I haven't seen any clear communication to the chapter committee chairs / authors / whatever telling them *exactly* what to do.  Did I miss it?  Even if I missed it, can something be sent to the mpi-forum list or posted to the wiki telling us all exactly what the SVN and review plans are?

In light of this confusion (even if it's only Fab, Bill, and me that are confused!), I think it would be a mistake to have today be the last day for input.  I still haven't reviewed anything because no one has yet told me specifically what to review.  (or I misunderstood whatever instructions were given)  :-(

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: