[Mpi-forum] MPI Count proposal from today's meeting

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Fri Jun 18 04:45:00 CDT 2010

PS. "Semantically cleaner", that is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Supalov, Alexander
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 11:41 AM
To: Main MPI Forum mailing list
Subject: RE: [Mpi-forum] MPI Count proposal from today's meeting

Thanks. Let's agree on what we call the "short int" and the "default int". For me, "short int" is historically a 2-byte signed entity. I'm thinking of the "default int" as a 4-byte signed entity. I know there were many other approaches, but I am intentionally going with the current mainstream here. With this, do we use these terms in a comparable manner?

As to the reasons not to delve into the unsigned jungle, I agree with your arguments, especially those from your first reply. Irrespective of this, the use of the MPI_UNDEFINED in the MPI_GET_COUNT looks a little careless now that the MPI_Count may be larger than the default int (in the above understanding). We'd probably fare syntactically cleaner with the MPI_COUNT_UNDEFINED of the respective size (cf. MPI_PROC_NULL).

In some sense, I assume that the MPI_UNDEFINED was initially added to the MPI_GET_COUNT return value range out of utility consideration, like, "we already have the MPI_UNDEFINED, why not using it here, too?" It is this initial motivation, if it indeed was comparable, that may need review now.