[Mpi-forum] MPI load data to multiple nodes

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 13 04:10:44 CDT 2010

On Jul 13 2010, Jack Bryan wrote:

> Dear All, I am working on a multi-computer Open MPI cluster system. If I
> put some data files in /home/mypath/folder, is it possible that all
> non-head nodes can access the files in the folder ? I need to load some
> data to some nodes, if all nodes can access the data, I do not need to
> load them to each node one by one. If multiple nodes access the same file
> to get data, is there conflict ? For example, fopen(myFile) by node 1, at
> the same time fopen(myFile) by node 2. Is it allowed to do that on MPI
> cluster without conflict ? Any help is appreciated.

This forum is for discussion of the MPI specification and related issues,
and that is a question about your operating system and the way that the
administrator has set up the cluster.

The answer is "maybe", with brass knobs on, and some of us could describe
the issues for hours.  From an MPI viewpoint, MPI_Bcast is your friend.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.